Share | 

We're Not Supposed to Be Here

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sevillalost

Marks : 974

PostSubject: We're Not Supposed to Be Here   Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:40 am

"Elhuyath, what do you think you're doing?"
Someone is down here. I wish to meet them! New friends are always an asset, you know that, the young tungsten replied. At four months of age, he was as large as his smoke and shadow clutchmates who were approaching their full growth, and he was endlessly curious. Elhuyath's sunny nature hadn't changed a bit, and he seemed determined to personally meet and make friends with every denizen of White Lightning Weyr. Which was fine, except that his rider was relatively certain that a dragon of Elhuyath's size shouldn't be trying to fit into some of the unexplored (or only lightly explored) caverns under the Weyr canyon proper.

Especially since Avidian had hinted that it wasn't a good idea. The Stillmaster rarely gave edicts. But then, he didn't have to.

We are nowhere near the still, and the Stillmaster would not mind us making new friends out here. We will not affect his business at all. Elhuhyath told his rider in his most reassuring tone as the tungsten weyrling disappeared around the next bend in their current tunnel.

Tr'cev sighed and followed, reasoning that at least they were in a tunnel with somewhat regular glows and a groomed floor. It had to go somewhere, after all. Elhuyath seemed determined, and his rider had found that the best way to persuade him that something wasn't a grand idea was to let him see a little bit for himself. So.

Fine, Tr'cev told his dragon We can go on a little further. But when it narrows, you stop, do you understand me? You're too big, and I can't have you getting stuck under tons of rock. If you die down here, I die down here, and then no one wins.

Fair point. I'll be careful, and only go as far as I can without crouching, Elhuyath replied. What a grand adventure! Hello? Who's down here? I am Tungsten Elhuyath, and my rider and I want to meet you and make friends!

A grand adventure, indeed.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
weyrwolf

Marks : 885

PostSubject: Re: We're Not Supposed to Be Here   Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:09 pm

Divisk didn't roar - he didn't have to, the force of his mind whipping out like a lash. Who was coming into his space, and why?

Quick footsteps, and Dividia came around the corner ahead of them - not running, but clearly going somewhere. "Hello," she said, pausing when she saw the culprit(s). "Where are you trying to be?"

Behind her, further back but not impossibly so, was the definite sound of claws, raking stone, heading their way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: We're Not Supposed to Be Here   Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:26 pm

"Um, Right here, I think," Tr'cev said with an uneasy smile. "I'm Tr'cev, and this is Elhuyath, and he heard someone and wanted to make friends." Even to his own ears, the weyrling's explanation sounded weak and silly. He tried to cover it with his most charming smile, even while his mind trembled at his own cheek. Perhaps the Wherleader liked cheek? For he knew who she was, of course. Everyone knew who she was.

Hello! I hear you! Of course I hear you. Your mind is so very strong! You are the Wherleader, aren't you? Brown Divisk. My rider is talking to your person right now. She is lovely, he thinks. If, perhaps, a bit intimidating. What is intimidating? Is it when you're the biggest, because that's what I am, and your person is bigger than my rider, who is not very big at all but is still the very best rider ever. I bet your person is the best as well, is she not? I imagine you would hardly have chosen her otherwise! Elhuyath bubbled toward Divisk's menacing presence. The tungsten dragon was delighted to meet anyone new, even a mostly malevolent wher. Maybe especially a mostly malevolent wher. For Divisk had a person, did he not? Surely he wouldn't attack a half-grown dragon.

And if he did, Elhuyath thought that the resulting tussle might be pretty fun as well. Sometimes he wrestled with his clutchmates. That was always fun. A wher would be a more challenging opponent, certainly, but that only meant they were better, right? More fun all around!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
weyrwolf

PostSubject: Re: We're Not Supposed to Be Here   Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Divisk came around the corner, taking up far more room than a squat, muscular wher had any business taking up, and crowded close behind Dividia.

She didn't budge, even as one set of talons wrapped deliberately around her upper thigh. Mine, he said, though that hadn't been a question. The tone and sheer number of words throwing him temporarily off his path. Something about this large/small dragon knowing that he, Divisk (not some other male) was the dominant wher satisfied him, but having this many other minds in his canyon, and yet another in his tunnels, did...exactly the opposite.

At any rate, he didn't answer any of the questions, but the violence emanating from him lessened, ever so slightly, away from incipient into simply...adjacent.

And so, though her posture didn't shift, Dividia had room to smile - quite warmly. "The tungsten pair," she said, looking them both over. "Adventuring far from the weyrling complex. The tunnels, you may guess, aren't entirely safe."

A low, rippling snarl, as Divisk shoved his head around his person (though, it might be noted, with less red in his eyes than had glowed down the tunnel a few moments ago).

Last edited by weyrwolf on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: We're Not Supposed to Be Here   Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:01 pm

Tr'cev nodded dutifully, but then he looked up through his rather long eyelashes at the woman.

"I know. But then, neither is flying Thread. We end up doing a lot of things that aren't entirely safe, Wherleader. That's how we grow, right?"

He was fairly certain she liked cheek.

Yes! She is! And she is awesome! And so are you. I bet you're really good at fighting. I bet you could teach me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
weyrwolf

PostSubject: Re: We're Not Supposed to Be Here   Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Divisk shoved half-way past Dividia. Intrigued and suspicious and some other snarl of emotions all in one. Teach to fight? he asked. Dragons fight?. This...this he could get with. Approve was, of course, to strong a word, but he was certainly invested, suddenly.

"Fair point, dragonrider," she said, inclining her head slightly to him, resting her hand on the thick neck stretching past her. "But if you want a chance to grow, I'd not come down this way unattended." If she hadn't been here, Divisk wouldn't have stopped to hear Elhuyath's actually interesting words. And while she didn't think Divisk would kill one of the dragons (or try to, but certainly in the tunnels, if anywhere, he had the advantage), it wasn't a situation she especially wanted any of them to face. Not when it was all going so well.

And not when there was so much potential in this small but growing pair in front of her. "Thread is mindless. Whers...are not."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: We're Not Supposed to Be Here   Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:35 am

Dragons fight Thread. And fighting is fun. And I love fun. And you love to fight, right? This is win/win! Ever since Tr'cev had taught him what that expression meant, "win/win" had been one of Elhuyath's favorite concepts.

"As you say, Wherleader," Tr'cev said. "But you're here now, right? I think Elhuyath really likes Divisk." He allowed himself to grin. Elhuyath was right, making new friends was fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vivid

Marks : 713

PostSubject: Re: We're Not Supposed to Be Here   Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:33 pm

Tahlansk had caught the edge of Divisk's mind; as the oldest male he was hard to block out. It had perked the interest of the queen wher, who peeled away from Tahlana so abruptly, her handler staggered. She had been resting her hand on Tahlansk's twenty four karat gold shoulder and caught her balance with a hiss of surprise. Tahlansk stopped and craned her head back to look at her handler.

I want to see. I hear Divisk. I hear another. I want to know.

With that, the queen continued her driven pace. Tahlana followed her, until what had snagged Tahlansk's attention became obvious.

"Wherhandler." Tahlana said spotting Dividia. Her gaze only held for a moment, for Tahlansk was marching up to the young Tungsten dragon with purpose. Suddenly, Tahlansk rose up on her back legs to peer up into the dragonet's face.

[color:a665=f0ff00]Who is? I am Tahlansk. I am Queen! and she flared her rich gold wings slightly to maintain her balance. If Tahlana could dislodge her heart from her mouth long enough to name her wher's manner, she might have called it 'aggressively curious.'

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: We're Not Supposed to Be Here   Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:05 pm

Tr'cev and Elhuyath were a bit taken aback by the sudden appearance of the golden queen wher, but not so much as to be caught flat footed. Tr'cev turned and bowed from the waist in respect, and Elhuyath dipped his head to look at Tahlansk with delight.

Tahlansk! You are a queen! Beautifully golden, and so shiny! I am Elhuyath, a tungsten dragon, and with me is Tr'cev, my rider. Your person is lovely as well, though her skin isn't so shiny as yours. I have been talking with Divisk, who I hope will teach me to fight, because that sounds like so much fun. Do you enjoy fighting, too? It can be dangerous sometimes, and queens are precious and must be protected, my rider says. But I think, looking at you, I think you could probably handle yourself. Plus you're a wher, and perhaps wher queens don't require as much protection, though you're certainly precious, there can be no doubt about that! We could be friends, too! You and me and Divisk as well! Friends are awesome! This is very win/win!

After that overwhelming barrage of information, Tr'cev thought it best if he confined himself to a brief, "Queenhandler," and a smile in hello.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
weyrwolf

PostSubject: Re: We're Not Supposed to Be Here   Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:05 pm

Divisk was still considering (or processing, perhaps - that had been a lot of information), and then finally shook his wings. As he was clearly about to offer to start a fighting lesson right there, right now, Dividia stepped forward again. "Let's get you and Elhuyath back and over a tunnel or two. There's a larger cave, and if they really all want to wrestle, that's a better place for all of us. Win/win, your shiny partner might say."

Divisk flexed his talons a bit, gouging the stone under him ever so slightly. Queens can fight best, he said, not remotely worried about what that meant for him. This was his canyon, and he'd fought a queen to bring the rest of them here. Divisk, as usual, was very sure of his place in these tunnels.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: We're Not Supposed to Be Here   Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:19 pm

Elhuyath nearly vibrated with excitement, and so Tr'cev agreed for the both of them. As they headed to the new venue, he tried very hard to look at both women at once. They were both so different, and yet so arresting... he felt like he might enjoy just looking at either of them for as long as they'd let him do so. He wasn't quite sure what that said about him.

You like them. Which is awesome, because I like them too. But you like them in part because they're women. I'm noticing that you like women a whole lot. I think I'll like females like that, too, when I'm old enough. The smokes talk about it sometimes like they like females that way, but I'm not quite there yet. Females are fun, but no more fun than awesome males, like our friend Divisk here! Elhuyath said with great enthusiasm.

Tr'cev blinked, then stopped, then started walking again quickly. Everything Elhuyath said made sense, like a puzzle piece clicking into place. He loved women. Cool.

A silly grin spread over his face, and Tr'cev let out a little chuckle as they walked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
weyrwolf

PostSubject: Re: We're Not Supposed to Be Here   Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:25 pm

While Dividia had no way of knowing what Tungsten and rider were discussing, she was far too aware to not know how the weyrling was considering Tahlana and herself; also, she was not nearly insensitive enough to betray that fact in any regard. So instead, with a bit of a conspiratorial smile to both other humans, she said, "I'm not entirely sure anyone is ready for what they're signing up for, here. Divisk only vaguely understands the concept of 'play nice', and Tahlansk's is one of the most impressively built whers I've ever seen. And Elhuyath might be growing too fast to know his own strength."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: We're Not Supposed to Be Here   Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:58 pm

"As long as neither wher strikes to kill, Elhuyath should be fine. He likes to wrestle, and he gets bumped and bruised and cut up all the time in training. He's growing so fast that he doesn't always fit into his body, if you know what I mean," Tr'cev said, aware that his words actually didn't make much sense, but that both women would probably follow him just fine. They were the Wherhandler and a Queenhandler respectively. That meant that they were anything but stupid.

Yet another thing he liked. Smart women. Fair enough.

"But if you think it's a bad idea, Wherleader, I'll defer to your judgement, of course," Tr'cev said, rather pleased with himself for using 'defer to your judgement' in a sentence. He thought he sounded particularly mature. Like a tungsten rider should. Probably. Or so he guessed. He turned his smile to Tahlana. "Or you, Queenhandler," he added. "We just really wanted to meet whoever was down here and make friends. The fight training is just a bonus."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
weyrwolf

PostSubject: Re: We're Not Supposed to Be Here   Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Dividia, who had a fair idea the Divisk would get distracted and tear off down another tunnel before they got to the canyon, cocked her head to Tahlana. She so rarely deferred to anyone, Dividia, that it was rather interesting to see her let the queenhandler reply first, if she so chose.

Divisk prowled ahead, ducking down a side tunnel and coming back up behind them all, keeping himself occupied and (he'd never call it this) a bit showing off his knowledge of the innards of his - their - canyon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We're Not Supposed to Be Here   

Back to top Go down

We're Not Supposed to Be Here
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1