10th PASS AU PERN RPG

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
SylverAngel

Marks : 303

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:37 pm

J'ril drew in a quick breath when he saw what his younger sister held in her hand.  Had he any idea beforehand what she'd come offering, he'd have been better able to guard himself against the emotions that rolled over him at the sight of that ring.

Swallowing heavily past the surprise and hurt, he asked, "How… did you get that?"  His voice only quavered the tiniest bit, though he'd have much preferred not at all.  He swallowed again, anger and a faint sense of betrayal rising to the surface-- both at his father, as well as at the woman before him.  "All this time, you've had it…"

Why bring it to him now?  Why make this gesture?  It made no sense, despite her words.  "Nothing comes without a price," he finally spat back, unwilling to believe she wanted nothing in return.

>>>>>>>>>>>

Keldesh had passed the other leftover Candidates a couple of times as he fetched drinks for his mother and sister while they waited for the weyrlings to arrive.  Of course, he knew what it was like to be left Standing like them, though this time was far rougher than it had been before-- he'd never been forced to stay away from the Sands.  It hurt that much more, especially as his sister had been the one to tell him he couldn't Stand.  And then the other one had Impressed, to a stupid shadow of all things, thus driving home his unworthiness.

Not that he wanted most of those dragons, anyway… but he'd been left without a lifemate, too.  And part of him wanted to join the others, to be with those who understood that part of the Hatching's aftermath.  But he was unsure of his welcome, after everything that had happened.  They looked happy, though that could have been whatever they were drinking.  They probably wouldn't want him around.  Not some little kid who ran away from the Sands.

>>>>>>>>>>>

Revel chuckled at Vianne's question and shifted in her seat to see the procession a little better.  "Well, I definitely don't know how it works in a normal Weyr, but that sounds fair to me.  Like younger siblings and all, right?"

Jemma frowned faintly and looked at the other two.  "But how would that be fair?  They have their own dragons and cots to worry about."

Grin widening, the smokerider shrugged.  "Wishful thinking?"  Then she turned her gaze to E'zen and Asteriel, watching their face as the new weyrlings made their way in.  "I wonder what Aliseth will think of her daughters."

>>>>>>>>>>>

Leo's grin dimmed the slightest bit as she spotted Leja and waved back.  Her sister had been left Standing while the rest of them Impressed…  They'd definitely have to make time for her, though-- or at least Leo would, and she figured Leszande would.  And there would be another clutch coming up soon, right?  When the senior queen rose?  Leo would keep her fingers crossed for her sister to get something awesome then-- she well deserved it!

In an attempt to lighten the mood, the weyrling quartzrider crossed her eyes and made a face at her sister as she moved along with her new classmates, hoping to get a laugh, if nothing else.

>>>>>>>>>>>

K'zariel would have much preferred to walk next to his brother.  He didn't need to be the center of attention, and truthfully didn't want the position.  The girls should have been front and center, like goldriders usually were.  And yet Ashrah had named him first-- it felt strange, off, out of place, though in no way shape or form did Klaroth feel any of those things.  The label of queenrider was definitely something he was going to have to get used to,

At least they wouldn't be required to stand on ceremony for the entire evening.  Once this procession was over, he'd be free to grab T'van and find Raf, though food might need to come first-- now that the delicious aromas were wafting to his nose, he was reminded of the fact that he hadn't eaten in some time.  Only Klaroth had, and though her hunger pangs had been pushed aside in favor of contented sleep, his own were making themselves known.

Thankfully, his stomach didn't growl embarrassingly loudly as he followed Ashrah into the Mess Hall.  A deep breath, a straightening of his posture for the eyes that tracked them, though he already stood taller than at least a few of the other new weyrlings behind him.  Perhaps, in that regard, it was better that he walk in first, in case any of them felt too exposed to the crowd and wanted a shield.  Or something.

Of course, he hadn't counted on spotting the Weyrleaders sitting together on the dais, close even as they spoke their formal welcome-- or rather, he hadn't counted on himself being a queenrider when he did so.  Sidran drew his gaze, and the part of his mind he usually kept well-guarded, well-hidden, pushed far behind everything else because he knew it was fruitless to hope, whispered that he now had a titanium dragon of his own…

Shoving those thoughts behind their barriers once again, or making a valiant attempt to do so while hoping no one else noticed, K'zariel nodded respectfully to both Br'son and Sidran in acknowledgement of their words.  A moment or two more, and they were finally dismissed.

T'van strode up beside him as several of the others peeled away from the group, clapping him on the arm.  "Well, that wasn't so bad, was it?" he asked with a grin.

Zar's eyes narrowed at his brother's knowing gaze.  "You can go first next time, see what you think," he muttered, though he was pretty sure the quartzrider meant something else entirely.

"Nah.  I'm not as pretty as you.  And Evernath is a manly quartz."

"Whatever.  Let's go eat."

Ty chuckled as his brother rolled his eyes, then looked around for R'fariel as they headed for the buffet tables with their classmates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vivid

Marks : 713

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:33 am

"S'riel gave it to me the night I accepted my candidacy. He was blind everything but the thought I would Impress a gold queen. He had been saving it for Casriel but gave it to me, shortly after Casriel Impressed Maraxith." Asteriel said, clear eyed in the face of his venomous words. She pivoted, taking a step foward, palm up and the offered ring shimmered in the low light.

"Nothing comes without a cost." Asteriel countered. She moved to a side table and set the ring down gently.

"The cost to you is your pride. The cost I pay is Casriel's confidence in me as a sure pawn on her playing board." Asteriel said icily. She turned to leave him in a flaring halo of pale blue skirts.
--------------------

Navarik looked over at the assembled bronze riders and felt a twinge of envy. There hadn't been a bronze dragonet in this clutch, nor in the one before it. He had gathered that much from the scuttlebutt of spectators as he had left the Hatching Grounds. He reached for another bite of juicy steak and then raised his chin.

"Can only Cobalts and Bronzes catch Titaniums? Sometimes Browns could catch young gold queens. Brown dragons can throw bronze hatchlings." he said.

------------------
Ashrah smiled at the words of the Weyrsenior and Weyrleader, watching the Thread's Bane weyrlings with a growing sense of pleasure. As people came up to greet the newly Impressed, Ashrah peeled herself away. She noticed Br'son having words with E'zen and nodded approvingly, turning to angle herself toward Jah'vi.

------------------
"Three queens....have you ever heard of such a thing Jah..." Z'ash saw her coming and gulped, unsteadily rising to his feet. Z'ash threw the older bronzerider an apologetic glance and turning, he made his way over to Teagan.

"Queen rider Teagan." he said respectfully. "May I sit and talk with you?"
------------------

Casriel caught the young bronzerider's movement and noted his approach of the even younger shadowrider. Seems she wasn't the only one with ambitions, though she doubted the plans were that of the youngsters involved. When Cosenne approached, Casriel favored her with a knowing smile. She liked the other woman but in the fashion of one apex predator knowing exactly who her fellows were. She glanced around for N'set but did not see him.

"Thank you, Cosenne. You are looking lovely this evening, as always. Maraxith is well....and ready." Casriel's smile sharped and she leaned in close to Cosenne. She raised her glass, a slight gesture in Br'sons direction.

"Yllaveth will fly to mate soon. Does Fillioth sense it? Maraxith has been watching her closely." she said, an edge in her voice. The thought excited her and her eyes gleams slightly.
-------------------------------
(More later Very Happy )

Back to top Go down
View user profile
echonymph

Marks : 281

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:54 pm

The brownrider walked in dressed more nicely than he normally would be. He wasn't big on making friends. Nor did he find these sorts of events fun necessarily but he did want to make a good impression. Being looked over because his brown was seen as lesser than a cobalt irked him like nothing else. So he had to at least be seen to be someone who could be relied upon. He needed to show that he was one of the group who could stand out. That Imioth was not so large for nothing.

Sh'lor knew that Imioth could outfly the Bronzes if need be in a mating flight. He certainly didn't trust them to do their job and catch the Titanium Queen when she flew. He had to be certain that when the time came, Imioth was seen as a potential leader by the Weyr. That he was seen as such.

Wearing a monochromatic look of black and white, he didn't think he stood out in any way. Today wasn't meant to be his day after all. He walked toward some of his wingmates, and on the way overheard some of the conversations swirling around the room. He certainly liked the idea of a brown winning a flight and siring a clutch. Even if it wasn't the leadership flight.

(outfit )

The Candidate master took more time getting ready than she wanted to. Her firelizard was a rather demanding pet when it came to her free time. She wondered why she had even gotten one when Aurayath reminded her the firelizard was for the dragon more than herself. If only the green could care for the little freak herself too.

There. Finally. Shoes on, nary a hair out of place. She was wearing an emerald green gown with long lace sleeves and a tight bodice. Her hair was up in a loose but not messy bun like way. She didn't really have time to think much about it. She wanted to check in on the Candidates before things really started to get crazy at the Feast. First though, like the others gathered there, she applauded those who had Impressed. Including Kalabria.

Brielody had not yet made up her mind about what she felt concerning the pairing but she had for the moment thought it mattered less than before. She had a rank now. She didn't have to live under the thumb of her brother like she had her father. Brielody was free to hate or love people as she saw fit. As long as the dragonriders of the new colors didn't pick a fight with her she wouldn't with them. Sure she thought greens were better than scarlets but it wasn't for her to make that determination anyway.

When she approached the Candidates, "I hope you are pacing yourselves with the wine." She eased into the conversation, "Lessons and chores will still be on the docket tomorrow." She wasn't going to give them a pep talk. She also wasn't going to tell them not to have some fun. "A brown could throw a Bronze if it came down to it but then you have to think less about dragon color and more about Weyr politics if you want to get into who will sire the next Titanium clutch. I don't think any of you are much aware of that yet but you might want to use this Feast as an excuse to watch some of the people in power and how they interact."

And as she had told Keldesh there was no guarantee that a brown or a Bronze would produce any of the old guard colors. They were better off not wondering about that at the moment though. "I'll leave you to your conversation now. I just wanted to check in with you all." She said, moving away and looking for anything to distract her from work. She needed to let loose. For once. Finally. No father to watch her behavior. No one she had to be the perfect daughter for.

(outfit

*~*~*~*~*~*

Kyabree arrived just before the Weyrlings were announced. To be fair, she'd changed like...well... more than a few times. And she had finally settled on a purple gown. She heard the swishing and ruffling of her gown as she hurried to the Hall and in the process nearly lost her shoe more than once.

Huffing as she entered, she looked for two of her favorite people and came up empty. So she found herself near the wine waiting. V'tayne and R'fariel were likely there she just couldn't see over the throng of people in the room. She wouldn't miss her sister being presented though for anything. Even her looking for her lovers. Kalabria was a Shadowrider. It was all she could do not to be obnoxiously loud when she cheered for the new class.

(outfit)

Rhaenthwor of Gold Rhaensk
Vawnali of Cobalt Kyrzoth
Sh'lor of Brown Imioth
Kyabree of Scarlet Nwynth
Brielody of Green Aurayath
Kalabria of Shadow Ohanith(Weyrling)
Z'phver of Citrine Devakith (Weyrling)
Lezsande of Scarlet Tianrith (Weyrling)
H'nar of Quartz Aivrith (Weyrling)

Smuggler/Guard Drethon

Played by Echonymph
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

Marks : 974

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:48 pm

Br'son lifted his glass and smirked at his 'second. "Ah, but Queens are a Queen's business, and none other. And you graduated the minute Aliseth launched on her maiden flight, so don't try that with me. You'll have Teagan to help you. And I doubt Melieste or Kalabria will be throwing boots at you anytime soon. Unless, you know, you make yourself particularly unpleasant."

Melieste followed Kalabria to a mostly unoccupied table and slipped in beside her fellow shadow rider.

"Do you mind if I join you?" She asked, not really waiting for an answer. She gave the younger girl a grin and shook her head. "It's so strange. I feel... I've never really cared much what others thought about me before, but I feel this incredible urge to make you like me. If I can. Zillath certainly expects us to be friends."

"Oh, Fillioth would say he's always ready," Cosenne said with a little laugh. "But I do think he's been watching her a bit more closely of late. It would be an interesting time to be Weyrleader, that's for certain. You have plans in that direction, I think?"

Xandan tried, he really did try to keep a straight face while the Candidatemaster addressed them. The problem was that she was actually rather pretty, and he was more than a little drunk, and so he couldn't help but want to giggle in the most manly way possible. Because he was trying to keep a straight face, this manifested as a series of snorts and near-choking sounds that probably had people wondering if he was about to die.

When she finally left them, he let out a sigh of relief and lifted his glass to her retreating back.

"To the Candidatemaster! May she whip our sorry arses into shape for the next clutch. Whenever it might happen!"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
weyrwolf

Marks : 885

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:32 pm

Vianne leaned over to offer Jemma a bite of whatever fun sweetbread came to her hand next. "Fair's fair - we've been the errand runners for months, and they should have a turn too. I mean, we give them a night or two to get adjusted, sure. And then..." she trailed off with her best wicked grin. All in fun, of course, but it would be nice to not be the lowest of the low - especially while some of their classmates were already rather elevated.

Leja took a deep breath, and as the group started to break up, she stepped forward to catch first Leocera (more of a flight risk, she thought) and then Leszande into a hug. "Congratulations," she said brightly, meaning it even as her eyes shone rather a bit more than normal. "I can only imagine our mother would be over the moons and back. "I'll...I'll have a drink for each of you, tonight!" Of course it would be proper to say she'd give a toast to them, or something, but...well. They were none of them entirely 'proper', were they? And she thought maybe they would appreciate this sentiment, more?

As she had a knack to do, Sidran matched step with K'zariel as he reached the end of the buffet line. The shadowriders had already tucked themselves in at a table, so why not start with the one she already knew? "I prefer Impressing after aging out, but I suppose your way is nearly as dramatic," she said to the new titanrider, a bit of a teasing smile touching her expression even as she managed a perfectly neutral tone. "Congratulations..." her trail-off was an invitation to hear his new honorific, and her tone warmed fully on the word.

Bast's eyes got bigger and bigger at the Candidatemaster's sudden arrival and interjection, and at Xandan's not-quite-successful efforts at muffling his snorts. "She can whip me any time she wants," he replied, toasting in turn, once the lovely - and kind of scary - woman in charge of them was safely away. A handful of shots and his skin was buzzing already...maybe he should lose a bunch of blood more often!

E'zen's eyes widened before he could help it, and he reached for his wine to buy himself a second. Teagan had been opportuned by the youngest bronzerider, so no help there, and the Weyrleader had gone off to the new riders, so no distraction there, and - well, there was Asteriel at least, and something eased in him (slightly) at the sight of her golden head across the way. "Do I get a ceremony?" he asked, seriously, only the faintest of upturns to his usual glower showing it was, in fact, not remotely serious. "And you just want us on the shadows, then? Not all three?"

To be fair, there was still a panicky twitter somewhere in his stomach at the idea of pretending he had any idea what he would do - and what if Ohanith and Zillath set themselves against Aliseth and Eniseth the way Aliseth once had with Yllaveth? - and...yeah. Drink more wine. Safer that way.

He didn't dress up - he never dressed up - but N'set had the face and bearing to make his scuffed pants and twice-mended shirt look far finer than they had a right to. It was the uncaring intensity (and how he pulled that off, many an exasperated peer had often wondered), but currently that intense regard was on two fellow cobaltriders, not any of the new queenriders or their Weyrleader already courting favor (all right, he was paying a little attention). But he didn't go right to Casriel and Cosenne, not wanting to interrupt purposeful flirting when it was in action. Instead he got a drink, paid a little more attention to the shadowriders (an interesting duo, there), wondered what Br'son and E'zen were discussing so intently, saw a bronzerider go chat up Teagan, and then knocked back his wine and decided to interrupt some of his favorite people after all. "Keeping our future in good hands?" he asked, holding the wineskin he'd nabbed up in silent offer to Casriel and Cosenne.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:16 pm

"Keeping it under blue-black wings, at least," Cosenne said, with a smile for her frequent partner in crime. "What do you think, N'set? Will Yllaveth rise tonight? Tomorrow? Will you be Weyrleader next?"

Privately, Cosenne doubted it. Not that N'set wasn't capable, or his cobalt motivated. No, it was more that she rather thought he would play a deeper game. Perhaps winning one of the new queenriders to his bed, though no doubt he was disappointed that the newest Titan had also chosen a man. A mating flight was a mating flight, naturally, but Cosenne had reason to believe that N'set favored women in his personal choices. He'd certainly favored her.

With a smile, she took the offered wineskin, poured a stream of it directly into her mouth, and then held it out to Casriel. With her free hand, she caught N'set's, then swallowed the wine and brought his palm to her lips for something like, and yet unlike, a lover's kiss.

"Did I say shadows? My mistake. All of them, E'zen," Br'son said with a smile and deadly serious eyes. "And it is vital that it be all of them. Unless you're willing to abdicate your position as 'second to K'zariel based on the color of Klaroth's hide?"

The Weyrsenior lifted his wineglass and took a sip, eyeing the slightly older man next to him over the rim. Would E'zen get the subtleties involved? And what would Br'son do if he didn't?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
echonymph

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:40 pm

Lezsande grinned, hugging Leja back warmly. Then breaking away she said, "Oh please have a few drinks for me. I'm going to miss wine." She said with a laugh and then thought that maybe she wouldn't miss it that much. Tianrith was worth it at any rate. She didn't want to crash Leja's fun with the other Candidates and worked on an excuse to bow out and find food. "I didn't think I was hungry till we got here. I'd better do something about that." Lezsande waved and walked away.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Melieste's approach wasn't lost on her, though Kalabria could hardly say she expected the other girl would sit with her. It wasn't that Kala thought there was anything wrong with her doing so but it just felt awkward to her. She didn't make a lot of friends and she wasn't all that chatty at least not about the things other people tended to talk about. She couldn't say that Impressing had made her care about what other people thought of her. She would be herself and that would be perfect.

As serious as she was known to be, Kalabria didn't know what to make of the other new queenrider's bid for friendship. Generally she was more apt to be alone than with friends. So she took a moment or so to respond using a mostly full mouth as an excuse not to say anything for a good long moment.

"Of course, we should be friends." Kalabria said, the hint of a smile in the corners of her mouth. She doubted they had much at all in common other than their dragons mutual interests in getting along with each other. Even if they weren't the closest of friends, Kalabria thought it might just be for the best to get along with the other Shadowrider. No one else would fully understand what she was going through.

Sh'lor of Brown Imioth

Smuggler/Guard Drethon

Played by Echonymph
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:35 pm

"Well, that's settled, then," Melieste said with a smile, and then dug into her own meal for a few minutes. Her eyes, though, continually strayed back to the head table.

"You know," she said softly after a few minutes. "We should go up there. Greet the Weyrsenior. At some point. When you're done eating, if you want. We can go together. I imagine we'll start lessons with him soon. We've just become very important people by the Weyr's reckoning."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vivid

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:27 pm

Casriel smiled at Cosenne. "As I live and breath. Under different circumstances, it would have already occurred. No matter, Maraxith and I have been training for a Turn now, waiting on Yllaveth to rise again."

The cobalt Wingleader licked her lips and took another long pull from her drink. It was then that she caught sight of N'set and the warmth that spread through her was no longer just the effects of the wine. She always felt....elated when in the presence of Cosenne and N'set. She wished that D'kan was by her side; she needed her lieutenant. Yet, she had made her way without him in the past and tonight would be no different.

'I'd even welcome Sidran to a second turn. Those brownriders needs to remember their place. At least a bronze could honor a Titanium, though if I have to click my heels and salute Jah'vi...I will vomit.' Casriel thought and her inner reflections ended in acid.

She did not share that tone with her fellow cobalts however and smoothed a pleasant smile over her mouth. She took the winesink from Cosenne and drank.

"Well said, Cosenne. The bronzes have had their hay day and brown riders? Save your breath for someone worth spitting on." Casriel said.
-------------------

Asteriel inhaled sharply and did not stop her walking. She was already late to the Feast that was celebrating the clutch her dragon had sired. She should be there, on E'zens arm and smiling at all the new weyrlings. Not dealing with J'ril. She welcomed the sudden bloom of light and music. Her pale blue dress flared as she weaved through the crowd until she was walking up on E'zen.

"Weyrsenior. Weyrsenior second." Asteriel said, looking from Br'son to E'zen.

"I apologize for my lateness, love." she said to E'zen. "I had to attend to some...family matters. I trust everything has gone well and that absence did not hurt the proceedings."

Last edited by Vivid on Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SylverAngel

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:26 am

J'ril's fists clenched at his sides, the desire to fling the ring back in Asteriel's face strong, even as she stalked away.  Second-best, or third-best, or whatever he and been in S'riel's eyes for Turns before Casriel Impressed one of the mutants.  Underscored completely by the fact that their father had given his ring to Asteriel before thinking to pass it down to his son-- even though his younger sister had disowned the family when S'riel disowned Casriel.

And yet, J'ril had been the one to do everything their father asked, the one who was willing to do anything to gain his attention. He'd Impressed a normal dragon, though it wasn't bronze.  And he'd pushed hard both in training and out, to get ahead.

And what had it earned him?  Nothing.  Not a sharding thing.

His father was gone.

Eastern Weyr was dead or dying.

The mutants were in power, instead of thrown away as they'd once been.  One of them had dared to hurt Treyath, and then spawned more of her own kind.

No, nothing good-- but for his brown-- had come of his attempts to please his father.  Second-best.  Third-best.  Only good enough for his ability to Impress.

Well, their father was gone.

He had no one to please but himself.  And Treyath.

And Asteriel had been right about one thing-- he had nothing left but his pride.  

And he wasn't giving it up without a fight.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

R'fariel had helped haul his brothers' things into the weyrling barracks, then hurried back to his weyr to change.  He wasn't on parade today, didn't feel the need to dress up just because he was brother to the new titanrider, but he'd thrown on a nicer pair of pants and shirt just because it was a party.  And he'd likely never hear the end of it from either of his scarletriders if he showed up in his normal clothes.

The wide grin that hadn't left his face since Zar and Ty Impressed was still in place when he arrived in the Mess Hall-- long before the weyrlings, thankfully.  He wasn't going to miss his siblings being presented, either, and had been on the lookout for Kyabree and V'tayn since he arrived.

His search was interrupted by the official announcement of the new weyrling class, which he greeted with loud whistling and clapping and standing on the nearest bench so he could see-- likely to the annoyance of whoever he was next to.  But he didn't care.  His brothers had Impressed!  And so had Kalabria.  He had a right to be loud today, and let everyone know how proud he was.

The disbursement of the new weyrlings drew his gaze to the food and drink tables, and-- Aha!  "Kya!" he called, though she probably didn't hear him the first time, as he jumped down from the bench.

"Kya!" he tried again, making his way towards the scarletrider and waving to get her attention.  "Did you see?  Zar and Kalabria were front and center."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Jemma graciously accepted the treat from Vianne with a murmured, "Thank you," though she was still frowning.  "Well, all right, it would be fair, but surely not right away?"  The new class deserved some time to get used to being dragonriders after all, didn't they?

Revel shook her head, popping a bit of a roll into her own mouth even as she chuckled.  "Nah.  It's someone else's turn now.  They'll just have to suck it up."  Grinning at Vianne, she added, "Think of all the free time we'll have."

Of course, they wouldn't exactly have any such thing-- they'd have new tasks to take the place of the old, as they were already starting to do.  But it was nice to dream.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Leo squeezed Leja hard when she returned her sister's hug, trying to convey her condolences without being overly dramatic about it.  But she grinned at the mention of a drink.  "Definitely have as many for me as you want, since we can't have any."  Hoping her sister was going to take advantage of the usual Candidate reject after-partying, she added, "And feel free to do anything I would do.  You can always blame the alcohol later!"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

K'zariel turned to the cobaltrider in surprise when she spoke, and then all he could do was stare mutely.  The teasing, the smile… it had been a while since any of it had been directed at him (friends of younger siblings were always fun to tease), and he knew Sidran meant nothing by it-- she'd just been on the dais with Br'son, after all--, but here she was singling him out, as if she did, and she clearly remembered how long he'd been Standing, and…

Someone (his brother?) moving past on his other side startled him out of his daze and he quickly shuffled to make sure he wasn't blocking the line.  And then he swallowed and struggled to find his voice.

"K'z-- K'zariel," he finally managed to croak out.  A throat clearing and a straightening of his stance and he thought he had it under control.  "K'zariel.  And thank you, Weyrleader."  He even gave her a smile in return, now that he found himself unfrozen.  And hoped she wouldn't mention his sudden speechlessness in her presence.  "The dragons are probably a little impatient now, given what's happened.  They can't wait for us to age out anymore."

His tone held a bit of a self-deprecating bent, as if he was somehow defective for not aging out-- an attempt to make light of the drama, though she wouldn't know how much there had been internally.  Had she suffered as much when she'd been left Standing?  It was something he'd never thought to ask.  Surely she'd remained strong through it, the way she did everything else, though.

That strength was one of the things he admired most about Sidran, and he couldn't imagine her faltering the way he'd done for the last couple of Hatchings-- questioning his worth, his usefulness, what he should be doing with himself.  No, she'd made a place for herself elsewhere, found something else to devote her life to until Gaveth came along.

Was it any wonder she found herself Weyrleader now?  He certainly wasn't surprised.  And he'd even hazard a guess that, had the mutant dragons remained at Eastern, she'd likely have found herself in the position there, as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
weyrwolf

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:59 am

"No one wants me to be Weyrleader," N'set replied, his grin nearly as feral as a cobaltrider's could be imagined to be, aided, perhaps, by Cosenne's gesture. "I'd kick certain bottomfeeders right back out again, and apparently that's only acceptable when they do it to us." A careless shrug, and he took his wine back for a sip before passing again. "And I'd put my marks on a sevenday or two. Tsaveth isn't paying too much attention yet, and what queen wants to share her spotlight?"

E'zen's eyes narrowed immediately. "No," he said, rather stiffly. "I'm happy to help." Why would a titanium hide mean more than a shadow one? More importantly - why did he care? He reached out, but Aliseth was more fully asleep than maybe ever before; this was all him. Since when did he care about his position, or any of this? As he was not much for introspection, he shrugged it off, and something of a...smirk? a good-humored smirk?! quirked his lips. "If you want three more queenriders like me." A definite joke, that.

And then Asteriel was there, and his expression relaxed again. "You didn't miss much," he said, eyebrows raising a bit. Family matters? No need to talk about how he'd apparently be training three new queenriders, barely any time into being a queenrider himself. If a few months with Aliseth didn't make someone an expert, nothing could.

Leja didn't have time to be surprised by Lezsande's immediate departure - she supposed she couldn't presume too far on dragonrider time - before Leo's emphatic hug fully distracted her. Her eyes nearly betrayed her again, but she sniffled and pulled herself together. "That's a plan, then," she said, glancing back toward where three of her compatriots were currently drinking fit to nearly match a canyon smuggler. "I'll blame alcohol and how much of it I have to drink on behalf of my fabulous dragonrider sisters." She stepped back a little unwillingly, not wanting to keep her and figuring Leo would want to go the direction of their older sister, or Hanarison, or probably anywhere other than - no. No self-pity. Everything in it's own time.

Her chin lifted a bit, and her smile - if not as brilliant as usual - was fully genuine.

Vianne winked at Revel and managed not to laugh (though a chuckle for sure threaded her tone), "So much free time. Why, we should all need to take up hobbies again. Jemma, think of all the time you'll have to tinker and build again!" There was only fondness in her tease, and a bit of a wistful wish.

Her smile deepened a bit, whether for his expression or his words, who could tell? "K'zariel," as though evaluating the name, though the warmth in her tone made it clear Sidran wouldn't disapprove. "Klaroth certainly picked her moment well, however long she made you wait. A clutch with three queens? That will certainly catch attention in the Records for lifetimes. I imagine the pair of you will find plenty of ways to feature in the Records in the Turns ahead." She glanced around, seeing most of his new classmates filling plates or talking to family members. "I shouldn't keep you - there will be quite a few people wanting to congratulate you, and this might be your best chance to eat."

She touched his elbow, the barest of glancing touches, and smiled again, "Congratulations, K'zariel. She's beautiful, and you look like a wonderful pair."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:01 pm

Br'son had grinned at E'zen's rejoinder, and then smiled at Asteriel as she joined them. E'zen had said something about family matters, so Br'son had looked away in order to give them a bit of privacy if they needed it...

and found Sidran laughing, smiling, touching K'zariel softly on the arm. For just the tiniest instant, his entire being incandesced in white-hot jealousy that woke Yllaveth from her doze and had her roaring her challenge to the night sky.

That slapped him back to reality quickly enough. Hand trembling, fingers fumbling, he grabbed at the nearest goblet of cold water and downed it, hoping to quench the fire that had caught him all unawares. Stupid, stupid to let himself think that way, with Yllaveth so close to rising anyway!

For a breathless minute, he hung on, his mind ready to clamp down on her will... but Yllaveth settled again and drifted back into her doze, while her rider sat terrified of his own emotional outburst.

"I'm so glad," Melieste said. "I have the feeling that this whole journey will be much easier with a friend to discuss it with." She smiled at Kalabria, and then noticed someone standing not far behind the other weyrling shadowrider.

"Kiry!" she called out. "Come, join us if you like. I was just about to suggest that after we've taken the edge of hunger off, that we go seek out E'zen and Teagan and say hello. What do you think, Kalabria?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vivid

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:15 pm

Casriel sipped her wine as she watched Sidran with her cousin, wondering if she care or not. Kez had always favored Sidran though why, Casriel could not guess. Ty, after all, adore her just as he should; they were both of the blood line of mighty dragon riders. She knew better to push her way into what had the potential to be a messy moment; bide for a better time, she mused. Her beryl colored eyes moved from the pair to Br'son.

"Pardon me a moment, dear Cosenne and N'set. I feel I am needed." She said, passing the wineskin back and lifting her chin, walked smoothly toward her Weyrsenior. Every step brought her back to the words she had confessed to him during Aliseth's maiden flight. Every word carved from her soul, every word true.

'I would lay Pern at your feet.' she thought. The distance drew shorter. She passed by one of the Harpers and slowly only to press a few marks into his hand, he crossed to Br'son.

"Would you honor me with this dance?" Casriel purred as the slow, sensual music began to rise. She let her eyes fall in Br'sons and they spoke of heat, of knowledge and the lust she knew ran two ways.

Last edited by Vivid on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
weyrwolf

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:16 pm

Gaveth reared up in turn, looking for whatever threat Yllaveth was responding to. But then his mate returned to rest, and the cobalt - edgy, disgruntled - paced at the top of the canyon, just in case.

His wordless confusion found no clarity in his rider, who glanced back at the dais to see Br'son unharmed, if a bit flustered. Perhaps she wouldn't go say to hello to the new shadowriders after all, she thought to herself, having no reason to connect the dots.

E'zen could get easily lost in Asteriel - that probably wouldn't surprise a single person with eyes. Still, it would take a lot for him to miss what has happening directly at his side, especially with the frisson of reaction that came from Aliseth. He turned back to Br'son, his hand sliding down to catch the smokerider's next to him, and asked, almost tentatively, "You ok?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
echonymph

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:51 pm

"Yeah, I fully expect they will want to greet and welcome us once we are finished." Kalabria replied thinking of the dias. She wasn't afraid to go up there like it may seem. She didn't want to sit up there while she was eating because she didn't think she would be as respectful to the other Queenriders if she were eating.

Turning to see Kiry as Melieste pointed her out, "You are welcome to join us Kiry." Kalabria said kindly and then finished eating her food.

"Should we catch up to K'zariel and go up together?" She asked, mostly because she didn't know what Melieste would prefer. Kalabria didn't care either way really. She did want to go up there now that Asteriel was there too. After all, her dragon sired the clutch.

*~*~*~*~*

Kyabree heard his voice before she saw him but she was beaming long before then. They were only going to feed off of eachother's excitement. "Raf!" She hugged him quickly, "Isn't this is amazing!"

She wanted to wait until her sister had gone up with the other Queenriders before she approached her. "Once they are up on the dias we should go and congratulate them." She did wonder why her sister had not gone stright that direction to begin with.

Sh'lor of Brown Imioth

Smuggler/Guard Drethon

Played by Echonymph
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vivid

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:55 pm

Asteriel sighed every so softly. "I'm alright. Just a little ruffled. I was talking to J'ril...or attempting to. It didn't go well...I expected too much out of him. He made a few snide comments. I suspect he wanted to hurt me by hinting that Emanoth made little to no impact on the clutch's outcome."

The truth was, his hint had hit a sensitive point. Asteriel was fiercely proud of Emanoth, as any rider would be of their male dragon siring a clutch. She suspected given Treyath's miserable failure at trying to catch Aliseth, he was seething with jealousy.

'As if I would ever allow him to touch E'zen.' Asteriel thought with ice in her mind.

"No matter. Let us enjoy the evening. Aliseth outdid herself and Emanoth too. Three queens, E'zen! Your names will go down in history." she breathed.
--------------------
V'tayn swept his dark hair from his gray eyes as he entered the feast hall, his feast gear a cut of deep green tunic and leggings that hugged his long, slender legs. His boots came up to his thigh, gleaming black and he grinned when he caught sight of Kya in her stunning gown and Raf with her.

"Well, well. How are you, my darlings." he purred as he reached them.
----------------------
Navarik swallowed hard at the sight of his Candidate Master and tore his gaze away before his wine soaked brain could give his face away. He could think of no better way to get kicked out of Candidacy then to be inappropriate with his Candidate Master.

'Even if she is gorgeous.' he though and shaking his head, reached for more wine. After a few gulps, he wiped his mouth and added.

"Yes, Ma'am."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vivid

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:24 pm

Such a good day but I am going to sleep now. T'kal, go and have fun at the feast. I have eaten my full and now want nothing but sleep. Thortoth sighed. T'kal smiled to himself as he left their weyr and eventually made his way to the mess hall. His black hair was combed neatly and the blue lining of his feast jacket shone brightly. He was looking forward to the talk, the joy and events of the evening. He could hear the laughter even before he entered. The Hall was washed with warm light and everywhere, a smile seem to show.

It was then that T'kal noticed a familiar head of hair and as he passed by the rider in question, he cleared his through.

"Alannah, how are you?" he asked, his lips parting in a smile.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:34 pm

Br'son blinked twice before Casriel's words registered in his mind. He was still furiously fighting down his own jealous reaction to seeing Sidran so cozy with the young weyrling Titanrider. Yllaveth had settled back down, though he was somewhat afraid she might wake again soon and suddenly. He had a horrifying mental image of her taking to the sky to rise this night, when the entire Weyr had turned out to honor the Thread's Bane class. He couldn't allow it... wouldn't allow it...

And here was Casriel, asking him to dance in that sweet-dark voice of hers. He already felt as if a fever ran just under his skin, and a tiny corner of his mind wanted to go and dance with her and make a scene and see if Sidran would notice...

No. Not appropriate. Not fair to Sidran nor Casriel. Nor, most importantly, to Yllaveth.

So the Weyrsenior tried a wavering smile and reached out a hand to the beautiful blonde Wingleader.

"I suppose you heard Yllaveth roar?" he said softly. "I'm afraid she is very, very close to rising. I cannot, in good conscience, risk dancing with you right now, Casriel. You... well. I am only human, and it might be too much for me. Please accept my sincerest apologies. Duty requires that I decline."

Casriel would understand that... wouldn't she?

Stars above, he hoped so.

Cosenne watched Casriel walk away for just a moment, and then turned her dark smile on N'set.

"Well," she said. "I suppose that answers that question. She means to be our next Weyrleader, and make no mistake. She'll probably do it, too. Interesting." She smiled once more at N'set, and then her violet eyes roamed over the assembled crowd once more.

"I think I"ll go introduce myself to that new Titanrider," she said idly, starting to move in that direction. "Are you coming?"

T'cev had finished his meal, or most of it, and decided that it was probably a good time to walk around and get to know people. Someone, somewhere, tipped a harper, and soft, sensual dance music started up. He pursed his lips for a moment, asked himself what his Da and his Papa would do, and then grinned as he realized that their answers would be remarkably similar.

So he stood, took a last sip of wine, and approached the table where Shadowrider Teagan stood talking with Xandan and Navarik and some of the others who hadn't Impressed.

"Lady Teagan," he said softly, to get her attention. Then he gave her a short bow, much as he'd seen his Papa do when he was trying to be gallant. "Will you honor me with this dance? I am T'cev, Tungsten Elhuyath's rider," he added somewhat belatedly, as he realized that she might not actually know who he was.

But he knew who she was, that was for certain. Another thing he'd learned from his Da. If it was a bronzerider's business to know who all the queenriders were, then it was definitely a tungstenrider's business as well. No question.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Apollotrigger

Marks : 448

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:11 pm

Teagan blinked, her cheeks flushing just slightly. Of course she had noticed the young man who Impressed to one of the new colors. She'd noticed him before, in fact. Heard the story of how he'd traveled from up North to the Canyon.

"It would be a pleasure," she said, ducking her eyes for a moment before glancing back up with a shy smile. She took his offered hand, flashing a quick sorry smile to the others as she let him lead her away.

Ensieth was awake, a comforting presence in the back of her mind assuring her she was behaving appropriately. "Congratulations on your Impression, T'cev," she said. "Tungsten Elhuyath has a ring to it. It's exciting, being the first, isn't it?" That she could grin easily at, knowing what it was like. Even if there was a new pair of Shadows now.

((Sorry for the disappearing act, if you were interacting with any of my characters just give them a slight poke lol))
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:55 pm

"It is," T'cev said, trying not to stumble as he turned to take her hands once they'd reached the cleared dancing space. He was rather abruptly aware that not too many couples had started dancing yet, so it was likely that they'd draw the gazes of more than a few people.

Well. Fair enough. She was a queenrider, and he the first and only rider of a new type of metallic male. Let the Weyr see them together and draw what conclusions they would. He had absolutely zero doubt that Elhuyath would meet and exceed every expectation.

"Thank you," he went on. "Though it's a bit scary as well. But Elhuyath is... he's like light on steel. All brightness, all the time. He's so full of love it's blinding. I can't..." T'cev stopped himself, aware that he sounded fully as besotted as he felt.

"Well, you know how it feels," he said. "Though rumor has it that shadows have tempers as dark as their hides. Is it true?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Apollotrigger

Marks : 448

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:16 pm

Teagan was always one for dancing, and was used to being the first one on the floor. She didn't notice if any eyes were on them; she was focused on following his lead, not having learned many of the proper dances herself.

She couldn't help but grin at the tender, love sick look on his face when he talked about Elhuyath. The same expression came over her own face sometimes, still. "Yah, I really do understand," her own face lighting up when Ensieth sent her a wordless pulse of love.

"Ensieth has had her moments, I won't lie," she said with laughter, remembering how she had charged to the front of the barracks that one night, shoulder to shoulder with her sister. "But she's very calm most of the time, honestly." She tilted her head to the side, a curious look on her face. "But I was a lot happier to be on the sands than E'zen."

A thought niggled at the back of her mind, one that kept bothering her. Just the start of something, but before she could focus on it her attention was shifted back to T'cev suddenly. "Maybe the personalities just mesh with the rider, regardless."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SylverAngel

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:00 pm

"Good," Leocera nodded in approval, though she internally winced at Leja's words.  "I want to hear all about your crazy escapades later.  All the juicy details and who they were with."

She wasn't going to live vicariously through her sister for a while.  Not really.

"You probably want to get back to the drinking though, so I'll leave you to it," the weyrling quartzrider then said, noting the way Leja was drawing away, wishing once again she was right there with the rest of them.  And figuring her sister was probably destined for better things if none of the dragons today chose her.  She'd wind up with something awesome from Yllaveth's next clutch, or maybe Eniseth's if the other shadow rose soon.

Leo would bet all her marks on it.

"I'll see you later, okay?"

>>>>>>>>>>>

Jemma brightened slightly at the mention of hobbies.  "Oh, yes, that would be quite nice."  But she didn't think it would be nice to rob the younger weyrlings of their free time just so her group could have more.

Revel nodded in agreement.  "What would you take up, Vianne?"

>>>>>>>>>>>

K'zariel fairly basked in the attention, hoping to hold on to it for just a little bit longer.  "She did," he agreed, the warmth and affection in his tone making it clear he'd forgiven his titan queen for her timing.  "But the other two will likely be the ones to watch.  Aliseth has already proved that."  And if the two new shadows were anything like their mother, and they matured just as fast, they'd be making waves long before Klaroth.

Not that K'zariel minded in the least.

His queen might have something to say about it, though, once she was awake.  But that wasn't now, and as he mentally came back from checking on her again, he realized his time with the cobaltrider was coming to a close.

"I should probably catch up to my brother before he takes all the meatrolls," Zar said, trying to make light of it, not let her see how much he didn't want her to go.  "But thank you.  Weyrleader."  A nod of respect, though this time the warmth in his voice-- what he couldn't keep out of it-- was all for her.  "I hope you enjoy the rest of your evening."

>>>>>>>>>>>

"Shouldn't they be up there already?"  Why weren't they?  R'fariel thought with a frown.  "Did you see which way Zar went?"  He craned his neck to get a better view over the heads of the crowd.  "I thought they were over by the refreshments, but then I lost Ty, too."

The wide grin returned when V'tayn found them.  "Ready to party!" he told the scarletrider.  "Should we get some wine?"

>>>>>>>>>>>

Allie turned at the familiar voice and felt her lips curving upward.  "Hey, T'kal.  I'm good."  She wasn't dressed as smartly as he was, though Fiammath had assured her the dark blue of her dress was flattering.  Even if the style wasn't entirely so.  "Did you enjoy the Hatching?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:30 pm

"That's certainly true. 'The dragon is the rider'. I've been hearing that drilled into my head since I was a wee one," T'cev said with a grin. "I was weyrbred up north, you see. I imagine it was a bit strange for some of you from the canyon when the dragons showed up. All of a sudden, you're weyrfolk, without any of the traditions and lore to fall back on? How was that?"

The tungstenrider turned as he spoke, feeling pleased with his ability to talk and dance without endangering his partner's toes. Teagan seemed nice, and was just barely younger than he. He thought they could certainly be friends... and maybe, eventually, more. Da had been friends with all of the queenriders, even the ones who hadn't been in love with him. He always thought that had had something to do with how well his bronze had done during the mating flights. T'cev was certainly not going to argue. He would be friendly with each of the queenriders. He would be friendly with everyone, if it made Elhuyath happy...

And so far, that certainly seemed to be the case. He grinned, wondering what such a good-natured dragon would do to his usually rather sarcastic self.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vivid

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:07 pm

Casriel had, in fact, heard the mighty roar of the Queen. She nodded and instead of pulling him to his feet, she took his hand and raising it to her lips, kissed it demurely.

"I understand you. Understand me...I will wait until Yllaveth rises. Maraxith will chase with all the power he holds and I will come to win you that day. Together, we can extend our rule far beyond the boundaries of our Weyr. I said I would lay Pern at your feet and by Faranth's First Gold Egg, I mean to do it. Ask what you will of me, I will see it done. This is the oath of my loyalty...and love." Casriel breathed softly against his hand, her voice lowering for his ears to hear.

The Wingleader rose again, knife straight and sharp. Her eyes were bright gems and her smile full. "Let me know what deeds must be done to win you, Br'son of Yllaveth."

With that, she bowed and left.

Last edited by Vivid on Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
echonymph

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:14 pm

Kalabria waited for Kiry and Melieste to finish eating, "I think now would be a good time to go and congratulate E'zen and Asteriel." She didn't meant to be pushy but if Melieste planned on going with her as it seemed she had, to approach the Weyrleadership then now was a good time to do so.

She moved toward the dias quiet but steady. She wasn't as frail a person as she might seem on the outside. Kalabria first walked over to E'zen and Asteriel, "Congratulations to you both on a truly wondrous clutch. I'm so happy Ohanith is of Aliseth's line." Because even though Aliseth did test her, she admired her all the more for it.

*~*~*~*~*

When V’tayn approached, Kyabree turned to look at his smiling face and brightened even more (if that were possible). “Oh V’tayn you look wonderful.” Not that it really mattered because he always was handsome to her no matter what he wore. She was used to R’fariel not dressing up as much but again, she didn’t mind too much.

Agreeing with Raf, "Indeed, wine and perhaps then some dancing?"

Sh'lor of Brown Imioth

Smuggler/Guard Drethon

Played by Echonymph
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   

Back to top Go down

Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next