10th PASS AU PERN RPG

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Vivid

Marks : 713

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:58 pm

"Of course you won't. You'll be a splendid rider, Kiry." Asteriel said, smiling at the green weyrling. The sole Old Guard weyrling of the group and a Stands Impression at that. The last green dragons might have been from either Maraxith's last flying of Parazath or Gaveth's flying of Syreth; Asteriel couldn't remember exactly. Casriel was the one who kept detailed records of a such things, as if she was a Weyrwoman of old. It was good fortune for the people of the Weyr Casriel had never been a gold rider, Asteriel reflected. She was far too ambitious and powerful as a cobalt Wingleader.
--------------
Teagan and the new Tungsten weyrling slipped off for dancing and Z'ash felt something cool and heavy turn in his stomach. On his ledge, Manticath crooned and cocked his head as the unfamiliar feeling of jealousy coated his rider.
--------------
Casriel, for her part, might have left the Weyrsenior but she walked among the feast guests, sipping a cup of wine. Cosenne seemed to be chatting up Sidran and Casriel wondered if she was probing the Weyrleader for information. Her movement brought her up alongside a group of her age mates and beyond the heads of a few folks, she thought she caught sight of some familiar rider's knots.

"H'den!" she called, raising her arm.
-------------
Ashrah kept a decent watch on her Weyrlings but her eyes couldn't help but be brought back to Jah'vi. She remembered the flight, Hesriath bursting through cloud only to have Nolinth close his bronze wings about her. She sighed, soft and sweet, to think of it.

Hesriath, for all her rider, wasn't so subtle.

Oh Nolinth? the Scarlet called. After the feast, should you and your rider enjoy swimming, why not join me and mine.

Hesriath! Ashrah gasped.
----------------------------
"Oh man, this is what you get with three queens in one clutch. I haven't seen a feast like this...not in all my life." Navarik grinned and tossed back the last of his wine. His vision swam a little and his belly was warm. Still, good luck getting noticed by a queen weyrling in this mob. He didn't feel like getting cuffed by a brown, bronze or cobalt rider trying. He had gathered some name from the scuttle butt. Teagan was impossible young and E'zen, well, male. Br'son, also male. K'zariel...newly Impressed and, Varik resisted a sigh, also male.

'Kalabria is pretty enough but her.' Varik let his eyes go back to Melieste and his bit his bottom lip. She was absolutely beautiful.
-------------------------------

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

Marks : 974

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:41 pm

"Gaveth, of course," Br'son said with a shrug. "That much hasn't changed, but I get the sense that she feels committed to him up until her next flight, then all bets are off. Maraxith sometimes. Sometimes not. She likes Nolinth quite a bit. Wanna be Weyrleader?" he asked, a teasing note sneaking into his tone.

Two could play at that game.

Tr'cev laughed out loud in delight as Teagan demonstrated her acrobatic skill. He applauded quickly before she took his arm, then he obligingly turned to see if he could find some of the members of his class.

"Have you met Z'phver?" he asked, as he spotted the citrine weyrling. "His Devakith was the citrine dragon that hatched second. He's a cool guy. I think he'd like to meet you," he said. A tiny corner of his mind whispered that if he was hoping to gain favor with Teagan because she was a queenrider, then it hardly served to introduce her to other guys. But the larger part of his brain, the part that was saturated with love and already starting to think like Elhuyath, brushed off such concerns as unworthy. First of all, he wanted to win favor with Teagan because she was Teagan. She was nice, and fun. Second of all... well... he was the only Tungstenrider Pern had ever seen. He was totally unique. And therefore, he didn't need to compete with anyone. For anything. He was, by definition, the best.

"Probably," Cosenne said, as she dropped smoothly into her seat. "Depends on who your cousin is. Are we friends?"

She knew. Of course she knew. But it suited her to assume an airy sort of unconcern. Plus, K'zariel's answer, and the mode in which he delivered it, would tell her quite a bit about the man.

She smiled warmly and snagged two glasses from a passing server. She put one down in front of the Titan weyrling, and lifted the other to her lips.

"You? In danger of being a wallflower? I highly doubt that, brownrider," Melieste said with a laugh. "From what I know of you, I suspect that you're likely to find yourself always in the center of the most interesting situations. Indeed, I hope that's the case. Interesting people make the best friends," she added.

Xandan followed the line of Varik's gaze and then snorted a bit of laughter.

"Yeah, Melieste's pretty enough. She's right full of herself though. Never shut up about being 'destined for a queen'... and burn me to the ground if she didn't get one, too. I'm surprised we can all fit in here with her ego," he laughed. Though his words were a touch on the harsh side, his tone was clearly not malicious. More like he was calling it as he'd seen it during the candidate training that Varik had missed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vivid

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:53 pm

Varik pushed both of his hands through his dark blond hair and whistled low, almost softly. Then he sighed and shook his head.

"Some woman just know, ya feel me. If she got a queen like she always knew, maybe she's like the woman from the ballads. Faranth's rider was suppose to be like that. Ramoth's too."

He shook his head again; he would be far from the thoughts of any queenrider so long as he remained a candidate. If he Impressed a queen, he would work alongside her but never be a contender for her hand. If he Impressed a male any smaller than a brown, then he could just write it right off. Such where the hard and fast facts of mating flights; he has certainly seen and experienced enough living at Eastern.

"What do you think of the Citrine and Tungsten dragons, Xan?" Navarik asked.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:21 pm

Xandan shook his head, an admiring look on his face.

"Never seen anything like 'em," he said. "They both had that shiny to them, though, didn't you think? Like a bronze or the Titanium that hatched last. I think they're gonna be big males. Bigger than the smokes. If I had to guess. Which I guess I do, b'cause I don't know the first thing about dragons," he added with a lopsided grin.

"What do you think, Bast?" he asked, turning to his other new friend to discover that his new friend was somewhat involved in watching the cute, female member of their company.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
echonymph

Marks : 281

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:24 pm

In agreement with E’zen, she nodded. Protectiveness might just be a Shadow trait. The more of them they had right now the better, though she doubted that anyone would produce three queens in one clutch again. The young Queenrider was feeling a little out of place on the dais. She wasn’t used to it and she wasn’t sure where she really belonged but it didn’t feel quite right that she was the only Queenrider not being attended to. She took in a deep breath, her mind touching that of her sleeping Shadow’s. Being alone in a crowd was something she was used to.

*~*~*~*~*

Z’phver finished eating  and looked up in time to see Tr’cev and Teagan heading toward him. Standing he waited for their approach, “Queenrider Teagan, Tr’cev! What brings you my way?” He would have preferred to be drinking on a night like this but in the absence of such things, find comapny would be appreciated. “You looked like a good match on the dance floor.”

*~*~*~*~*~*

Whatever people were watching them dance were not paying him much attention at all.  Not with Melieste there, His eyes seemed hooded for a moment as if hiding a thought. Interesting might not be the word people used to describe him. Perhaps being traditional was what differentiated him from others. Indeed, he thought himself rather less interesting than others but then, it seemed that would make sense. He wouldn’t find anything unique about himself in the same way someone else may.

“A friend hmm?” He wasn’t sure if she meant it. He hoped she did of course. It would only help him to be so. However what his friendship could do for her he hadn’t quite figured out yet. But he would. “Of course befriending a traditionalist brownrider will do wonders for your reputation.”

Rhaenthwor of Gold Rhaensk
Vawnali of Cobalt Kyrzoth
Sh'lor of Brown Imioth
Kyabree of Scarlet Nwynth
Brielody of Green Aurayath
Kalabria of Shadow Ohanith(Weyrling)
Z'phver of Citrine Devakith (Weyrling)
Lezsande of Scarlet Tianrith (Weyrling)
H'nar of Quartz Aivrith (Weyrling)

Smuggler/Guard Drethon

Played by Echonymph
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Apollotrigger

Marks : 448

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:32 pm

"No, but I'd love to meet him," Teagan said eagerly. She'd been far too busy with her own training to get to know the new candidates, now weyrlings. "And I could really eat something sweet."

"Well it would be fun to see how angry Casriel could possibly get," Jah'vi said with a laugh. "And we'd like to prove that the bronzes aren't out for the count yet." He grinned at his friend, enjoying this playful side of Br'son. "And when the prize is so tantalizing it is very tempting." He eyes twinkled, and he took another deep drink of the Lightening. He offered the skin up again, even though he'd noticed that the Weyrsenior had stopped drinking a bit ago.

Trying to get him drunk? No, never.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
weyrwolf

Marks : 885

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:13 pm

Bast blinked, realized he'd been staring at Leja. "Ah...what? Oh. Dragons! Yeah. I think they'll be big. I wanna know why some are flame-bright, and most are just kinda...shadowy. You know?"

Leja - face flushing from the rapid intake of alcohol - brushed her hair back and, unsurprisingly, beamed. Her smile went a bit crooked, and she filled up everyone's glasses again. "It is very interesting, I bet the dragonhealers will be writing their masters' projects on it all for Turns, don't you think?"

E'zen smiled again, and then looked around. "So, you're welcome to sit up here with us," he said to Kalabria, "or, uh...we could all go dance?" He glanced briefly at Asteriel at that (anything longer than a brief glance meant star-struck staring, so). "What do you think, Kiry?"

H'den straightened up from his lean against a table, idle conversation easily left at the call of the cobaltrider. "Casriel," he replied, turning toward her. "How goes your evening?"

Sidran finished talking with the seagirl-turned-smokerider, and stopped briefly by shadow, tungsten, and citrine riders. Her smile for Teagan was right over the edge into fond, these softened-by-hatching-edges catching up to her. "Weyrlings, queenrider. I won't want to interrupt for long." Far be it from her, especially when their youngest queenrider looked to be having such a good time. "Congratulations to you both," she inclined her head ever so slightly to them, "and while I don't know that a cobalt, a citrine, and a tungsten are all of a flock, I did want to offer my time if ever it would be helpful." She'd once Impressed a large male dragon no one knew what to expect of, as well. Though, she supposed, so had Revel and Asteriel, just the class before. "How are you all enjoying the feast?"

Last edited by weyrwolf on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Apollotrigger

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:20 pm

Teagan smiled brightly as T'cev introduced her to his classmates, committing their names and faces to memory. Four new colors in two clutches, she thought a bit giddily, all represented in this little group.

Her grin for the Weyrleader was like the sun. She'd spent almost as much time with Sidran as Br'son, after all, and she really liked the older woman.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:11 pm

Tr'cev, too, grinned at Sidran. Happiness bubbled inside him like the tiny streams of sparkles that came in very fancy wine.

"Thank you, Weyrleader," he said. "Elhuyath is already so big, and he seems convinced that he's only going to get bigger, so I suspect that some advice on handling a large male dragon will be extremely helpful."

"And the feast is great. The dancing is great. Everything is just.... so great!" Tr'cev said, with a laugh. "That's why I wanted to bring the lady Teagan to meet Z'phver. Because he's great, too."

"Well, of course we're friends," Melieste said with a bit of tartness and a smile. "And that's one of the beauties of being a queenrider. I can be friends with whomever I like. As it happens, I don't have a quarrel with the traditionalists, being one who appreciates tradition as well. When I first came to the Weyr, I thought to Impress a golden queen. I, too, was skeptical about what it meant for dragonkind when the new colors started to appear. But now I think we have the answer to that. The mutation in the dragon bloodline existed so that dragons would survive the coming plague. And though we've tragically lost the golden queens, now we have two types of queen in their place. Change isn't always comfortable, but sometimes it's necessary.

"But!" she added, holding up a hand. "That doesn't mean we should forget our roots. You, and Weyrsecond Jah'vi, and J'ril, and Z'ash, and all the riders of so called 'Old Guard' dragons are our roots. Even little Kiry, who is so shy, but Impressed that beautiful Veridath. She is the sole representative of the Old Guard in my class. It will be her task to make sure we remember our traditions, and do not fail to learn from the lessons of the past." Her smile turned less saucy and more winsome as she looked up at him.

"And I suspect that you could serve the same function for the Weyr," she said lowly. "If you were of a mind to do so..."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
echonymph

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:30 pm

Z'phver now with more than just the new Tungsten rider and the youngest of the Shadow Queenriders as company began to feel a little out of his depth. He was just a canyon orphan after all. Just. He recouperated quickly, as he usually did and grinned, "Thank you Weyrleader Sidran. I may have to take you up on that offer at some point." Chuckling at Tr'cev's enthusiasm. "You sure you haven't had any wine?" He said to the younger weyrling in jest. "Thanks Tr'cev. Our class is pretty cool but most especially us!" He didn't say that he thought there might be a couple that would be hard to reign in or that there had been any kind of trouble in the past.

"And it is a pleasure to meet you Queenrider Teagan. I hope he didn't step on your toes at all." He winked, not that he knew how to dance properly...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kalabria moved toward E'zen at the invitation. "If you're sure..." she wasn't entirely certain she belonged there with the riders of the clutch dam and sire but then there hadn't been as many people coming by as she had anticipated. Things were different and it wasn't because of Eastern alone. Like the others, she waited for Kiry's response. If she wanted to go dance then Kalabria would be happy to come too.

"It's been a while since I danced." She said as a way of agreeing with E'zen.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Were they friends then? He wasn't sure if that were true but he wasn't about to contradict her for much the same reason she could get away with keeping him as a friend and not find herself the target of much ridicule. He had no quarrel with anyone who thought he could achieve a rank the same as a cobalt or bronze if he pursued his goals. He had no trouble at all with people who liked traditional colors and didn't go around hating them for being born traditional colors.

Kiry and Veridath were not there when the newer colored dragons were cast out and would not be blamed for such past events. However he and Brielody were and they received a fair amount of dislike and rudeness from those who saw them as the ones who cast them out.

He had a mind to do great things. Whatever that may lead him to. He hadn't envisioned his life to go this way. Sh'lor had always expected that he and Imioth would earn Wingsecond young with the help of his father and his friends but he hadn't imagined it could be within a few Turns which if he applied himself could be possible. What she was suggesting though, he wasn't sure he followed completely.

Well he probably would say what she expected to hear, "I am. What exactly are you suggesting I do about that?" Sh'lor wasn't a complete dimglow but it would be nice to make sure he was on the same page as she was to avoid any misunderstanding later on.

Sh'lor of Brown Imioth

Smuggler/Guard Drethon

Played by Echonymph
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:41 pm

Melieste tilted her head to the side and pursed her lips slightly as she thought about Sh'lor's question.

"Well," she said slowly. "I'm not exactly sure, yet. Just... my instinct tells me that you could be a valuable asset to the Weyr. And with so few old guard riders... well. Obviously you're special." She shrugged one shoulder and looked up at him. "Of course, I have literally been a queenrider for less than a single day. I haven't even begun my training yet... but my instincts are very rarely wrong. Something will come to me, I'm sure of it."

She dropped her eyes, and then raised them again.

"It was a pleasure to dance with you. Thank you for asking me."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
weyrwolf

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:59 pm

"Good." The unbridled joy in the trio - from Teagan's sunshine to the weyrlings' punch-drunk post-Impression excitement - tugged her own smile into a full grin of its own. Sidran didn't often full out grin, but if any moment called for it...well.

"I'll leave you to your celebration, then," she said, and stepped away.

Melieste was dancing with Sh'lor - now that was interesting - and Kalabria up on the dais, along with the new greenrider. She didn't want to cut in on the dance, especially because it was Sh'lor. No need to sour the night, and so she walked back to the dais, stepping behind E'zen so she could very lightly put a hand on the back of Br'son's chair, and say warmly, "Congratulations, shadow and green rider. Quite impressive pairings you made tonight - Ohanith and Veridath look to be invaluable additions to our Weyr. How are you feeling?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
echonymph

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:47 pm

Before he had spoken with Melieste, Sh’lor had been trying to work out how to make his mark and get noticed. So he wasn’t offended that she had nothing to offer up. All he could do for now was to be a good wingrider, show courtesy to those who deserved it and to be reliable in a way that brownriders had always been known for. That she wanted him to be a bigger part of this Weyr was encouraging. Clearly his reputation wasn’t beyond repair. With Melieste as his friend and his sister on a Shadow Queen too, things were looking up for him.

Special? His father had always told him he was meant for greatness and he of course listened to K’brien but he never thought anyone outside of his own family and his brown would see something special about him. Granted, before there were a multitude of brownriders and now they were rare, an almost dying breed. His brown had always been special to him too though he was sure most riders felt that way about their dragons.

He wasn’t sure how to respond to her. Finally someone else had seen his potential and he didn’t want to ruin it. He burned to prove himself even as Imioth reassured him that there was no need, the brown was often trying to do the same. Sh’lor half wondered if it were part of the reason behind the brown’s desire to chase every female that flew.

To him, it did not matter that she had been a Queenrider for less than a day, “Well you’ve been preparing for this for Turns so I expect you’ve been watching people and the politics of the Weyr. Watching and listening can give one a lot of insight as to what people are like. I’m a believer in gut intuition. I’m sure you are not wrong. There may be a bigger part that Imioth and I have to play out which hasn’t been presented to us yet.”

“You better get used to being expected to know things that you might not feel like you should be prepared for. Shadows mature quickly. You’ll be up there with E’zen and Br’son before the others.” Or at least that was the consensus after Aliseth’s first flight. If he were honest with himself he hadn’t exactly been thinking about Flights when he had mentioned Zillath being mature more quickly but now that the words were out of his mouth he felt a little bit awkward. He hadn’t meant to bring up something of that nature.

The pressure of those flights could be difficult and he wasn’t at all suggesting that he was interested in her...even if he might be...because now was certainly not the time. It also made him nervous for his sister who was younger although not quite as young as Teagan. Maybe Ohanith would prove to be equally concerned with Kalabria’s maturity as it seemed Eniseth was for Teagan.

His eyes met hers as he took her hand and bowed to her, “The pleasure was mine entirely. Any man or woman here would be honored to dance with you.” He didn’t kiss her hand but did bring it almost to his mouth before letting it go. “Back to the dais then?” That was where the other Queenriders were save Teagan and K’zariel.

*~*~*~*~*

Kalabria liked Sidran more because of her effect on the people around her than anything else. There was a confident calm about her as if she didn't need to raise her voice to get people to listen to her. It was an admirable quality. The new Queenrider wasn't about to crush on the Weyrleader but she did think of her as a good influence and someone she hoped would be leader for quite some time.

"Oh, thank you Weyrleader Sidran." She had to agree that both Veridath and Ohanith were wonderful. Kalabria was also glad that Kiry had stayed nearby. She didn't want to be the only new Weyrling up on the dais.

"Happy but also...nervous." Kalabria said honestly. "I thought it would be a long time before I Impressed and I never expected a Queen."

Sh'lor of Brown Imioth

Smuggler/Guard Drethon

Played by Echonymph
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Apollotrigger

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:49 pm

Teagan cut a small, bashful smile in Tr'cevs' direction. "My feet are fine," she giggled, "he's actually quite the dancer. And I love dancing, even if it's a little different than what I'm used to." The Canyon folk appreciated her dancing, she knew; it had brought in money, as well as distracted crowds. And the dragons liked it, as she'd confirmed that first night.

What others thought, she frankly didn't care. Just letting her mind float away and reacting solely based on what the music told her body to do. Much easier than following some predefined steps, in her opinion.

"I'm up for more dancing later," speaking to Z'phvr, but the words also for the new tungsten rider. Something about him just made her want to smile, and she wanted to spend more time hearing about his travels. She might be flying over Pern, but he'd traveled across it.

Kiry was trying to figure out someway of getting out of the dancing, not wanting to step on the man of the days feet in front of the entire Weyr. So she was both glad and terrified when Sidran approached them from behind, effectively blocking her from standing. Which left her also unable to escape the presence of the Weyrleader, which was a bit overwhelming.

"Extremely confused," she confessed with a giggle that was very unlike her. "I just wanted to see the eggs hatch and now...," she waved her hand a bit, having to resist another giggle. The situation was almost comical.

Nolinth was clearly aware of Yvalleth's proddiness, Jah'vi realized, when he felt a flash of jealousy at Sidran placing her hand behind Br'son. Though technically she was the Weyrleader.

For now, Nolinth said smoothly, a hint of a laughter in his voice. The bronze sounded very smug and sure of himself, more so than usual. That made his rider smile and relax just a bit. Still, he glanced up at Sidran and tapped Br'son on the arm with the bottle of Lightning again. And if his smirk was a bit of a challenge, so be it. He had a much better relationship with this cobalt rider.

"Yes, congratulations to you both," he said, just now realizing the new shadow and the greenrider he'd helped down from the stands. Either he was more buzzed than he thought, or he'd been paying far too much attention to the Weyrsenior.

Though he supposed the two went hand and hand, he thought, stealing a quick look at Br'son that he made sure the other man saw. He took a sip of the other man's wine purposefully, giving his lips a lick with a wicked grin.

"Your poor little Veridath just couldn't find you, kid," he said to the new greenrider, shifting his attention away from the Weyrsenior suddenly and fully. He'd thought she was a boy at first, even after lifting her down from the stands. But she was dolled up now, though not in a dress, and looked a bit uncomfortable. He could commiserate with her, recognizing that feeling. He'd struggled with it himself when he was younger. "I should charge you for the pants she ripped."

Kiry sputtered, apologies spilling from her lips and face turning as red as any scarlet in the Weyr. Jah'vi had to laugh and shake his head. "I'm joking, kid," he said, voice jovial. He reached across the people between them and patted her hand reassuringly. "I'm glad to welcome another old guard to the Weyr."

When he leaned back he might have let his hand graze againsthe Br'sons leg underneath the table. By accident of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vivid

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:49 pm

Hesriath, from where she had settled down by the water, heaved a sigh.

Nolinth does not respond and I do not compete with Yllaveth. was the Scarlet's comment and it was tart. Hesriath got to feet and launched skyward; she would entertain herself feeding.

Ashrah let her eyes pan over to the dais and what she saw explained the scarlet's words. So, that was it then. It had been Hesriath's mating flight and no more. Ashrah turned away from it, her mouth set in a hard line and shoved a foot down on the loneliness that welled up in the pit of her stomach.

If her Weyrlings need her, she would be in her office.
--------------------------------------------

"How like you the outcome of the Hatching?" Casriel asked H'den. "Three queens, who has ever heard of such a thing. Such a wonderful thing?"

Casriel flicked her hair back from her face and the corner of her eye caught Sidran at Br'sons back and Jah'vi at his side. One sight she liked less than the other.

'Flirt all you like, you son of a bitch. We'll see who is what when Yllaveth rises.' Casriel thought with venom.
----------------------------------------------
Asteriel smiled and nodded. "Dancing sounds lovely. Let's go."

She offered her hand to E'zen and her other took up the train of her dress. J'ril or no J'ril, she would have a wonderful time and no one would spoil it for her. In the deep well of her mind she could feel Emanoth's quiet pride and pleasure; she sent a wordless stream of love and gratitude to him.

"Though," Asteriel let her voice go low for E'zens hearing as she stepped closer. "I would like a moment's peace with you. Alone."
-------------------------------------------------
V'tayn grinned back at Kyabree. "Thank you, my darling. I must, to be fit to walk on your arm as well as R'fariels. Oh look, sweetling, how the intrigue of the night is developing."

V'tayn gestured with his hand and giggled. "All the whispering and plotting. Such much be the lives and times of queen riders. If not for Anarath, I would envy them all that drama and excitement."
--------------------------------------------------

Navarik laughed and glanced back over at Melieste. If he saw his chance, if the brown rider she was with stepped away, he saw fit to go and introduce himself to her.

"Shards, I cannot wait for Yllaveth to go up. I want to be back on the sands again." he sighed, draining his cup.

"It will come sooner than you think." said a female voice. Navarik sat up and looked around just as May sat herself down among her fellow candidates. On her shoulder was a firelizard and Navarik's mouth dropped open. He reached up to rub his eyes, thinking what he saw much be wine sight but no. On the young woman's shoulder was a softly purring firelizard, marbled in dusky blue, cream and grey.

"You have a firelizard and he's....he's...." Varik sputtered in his excitement. May grinned and offering the firelizard her arm, set him down on the table.

"His name is Sky and he is a Spinel firelizard." The Spinel gave a trill and May patted him on his head.

"Wingleader Casriel's gold queen Victory clutched and out came blue and white swirled Spinels, purple Amethysts, and yellow and ruddy Agates." May said.

"I'll be blasted." Varik breathed. He couldn't believe it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
weyrwolf

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:18 pm

Sidran chuckled, the sound warm and low in her throat. "I expected a queen and got the furthest mind from one. Hatchlings have no consideration for our plans, more often than not." Her smile, still broad, was welcoming. Even for Jah'vi, up to his antics. "And I would never say 'poor Veridath,' bronzerider. You should know as well as anyone greens know their business, and Veridath is certainly exceptional even there. A dragon on a mission, from the first moments. But don't let us keep you, if there's dancing to be done."

E'zen started, having forgotten people were there, with Asteriel's voice in his ear. "Dancing," he agreed, rather dreamily. "As the Weyrleader suggests." He beamed (yes, beamed. Or looked moons-struck. Either. Both.) at Sidran, though his eyes never left the smokerider's at his side.

Sidran bit back a laugh, and leaned forward a bit, to say quietly to Kalabria and Kiry, "You are welcome to stay, too." She had a feeling neither E'zen nor Asteriel would notice, for some small spell of time.

H'den grinned, the easy, brilliant grin that had shown so infrequently at Eastern after...after things became clear. But White Lightning, the hatching, Nimath's impending flight, Casriel's company, all served to bring some of that old ease back.

"Wonderful and well needed. All the new color for our new Weyr, who can argue? And how are you feeling, Wingleader?" he glanced toward the dais, only briefly. His two former classmates, the for-now-Weyrleader, a new queenrider...no. He had no room for politics, just now.

Just joy, and celebration. It had been so rare, of late.

"White Lightning is full of wonders," Leja pronounced, offering May a glass and (very, very wisely), holding herself to only a sip, for the moment. "Aren't you glad you came?" she added to Navarik.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:34 pm

Br'son felt Jah'vi's hand on his leg, and Sidran's caress on the back of his shoulders, and something undefinable rose within him. It wasn't entirely lust, though that was there. It wasn't entirely affection, though that was there, too. It wasn't entirely... no... no it was. It was entirely irritation, shading rapidly to anger. They knew Yllaveth was proddy! Why were they teasing him like this? Did they think he was some kind of toy? He was the sharding Weyrsenior of this blasted Weyr!

Br'son surged to his feet, knocking both Jah'vi's and Sidran's hands away. He smiled warmly at Kiry.

"I believe I'll claim the privilege of rank and ask White Lightning's first native greenrider for the honor of her first dance," he said, holding out his hand. "If you're interested, Kiry?"

"Yes, please," Melieste said with a smile. "Though I hope to see you again later."

She felt a kind of satisfaction. Clearly, something had begun here tonight. What it was, she couldn't say. Other than a friendship... but where that friendship would lead, what it would become, what it would mean for her future and Zillath's...

She didn't know. But she felt, in her gut, that it could only be good. Zillath would be pleased.

"You two should dance next," Tr'cev said to Z'phver and Teagan. "The music is just starting up. I'm going to go find Yosra. Thank you for the dance, my lady," he said with a smile and an inclination of his head. It was the same gesture his bronzeriding Da had always given to the queens at the Reaches. "I hope to see you later!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SylverAngel

Marks : 303

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:34 pm

K'zariel couldn't help but let out a tiny bark of a sarcastic laugh at Cosenne's words.  "I'm not sure anyone can claim that title.  Especially around here."  Things might have been different at Eastern, had the non-mutant riders stayed there.  But stranger things had happened than J'ril having actual friends, so he wasn't going to completely discount the possibility.

Setting down the plate he'd managed to put a few things on, the weyrling titaniumrider settled onto is own side of the table.  "I could be wrong, though.  Would you say you and J'ril were friends?"

>>>>>>>>>

Raf rolled his eyes when he saw which direction the scarletrider was indicating.  "I don't.  And I'm sure Zar doesn't.  He's going to have to deal with it, but he won't like it."  It was an unfortunate side effect of being a queenrider.  "You think we should go say hi to your sister now, Kya?  Or wait?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
weyrwolf

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:52 pm

Sidran's hand, knocked off the back of Br'son's chair, moved naturally back to her waist. Her face, still warm and expression still focused on Kiry and Kalabria, to whom she'd been speaking, didn't so much as flicker. If anything, her smile deepened a bit. "That leave us," she said to Kalabria, "though we can dance, or you can keep me company up here."

I'zak lounged. What else would he do? He watched, rather aimlessly, and drank, rather enthusiastically.

He had no fight in this dance. Or no fire lizard in this race? Some metaphor. He'd rather not think too hard on it. Not what celebrations were for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Apollotrigger

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:58 pm

Jah'vi pouted when Br'son jumped up so quickly and practically dragged the new greenrider away, but it turned into a grin when he glanced up at Sidran. "What?" he asked innocently, like he'd done nothing wrong. Technically speaking, he hadn't. Br'son knew him well enough to know he wouldn't be able to restrain himself.

"Well if you two are going to leave me out of your group...," he added in a faux offended tone, his grin lazy.

He turned his attention back to the crowd, eyes lightly glazed from the buzz of alcohol in his system. He saw Ashrah, who seemed to be pointedly not looking in his direction, and wondered briefly what that was about. But she honestly wasn't what he was in the mood for tonight, anyway. His eyes fell on I'zak, sitting alone, and perked up a bit though.

Kiry reeled a bit as the Weyrsenior quickly asked her to dance, and before she knew it he had her by the hand and they were speeding away from the table. "But, sir... Weyrsenior, I don't really know how to dance," she protested weakly, honored by the offer but also not quite in the mood to make a spectacle of herself in front of the entire Weyr. Not to mention what if she stepped on his feet? What was the punishment for injuring the Weyrsenior, she worried.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vivid

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:53 pm

Asteriel took E'zen by the hand and her smile was for him alone, her blue eyes centered on his as she moved to the dance floor. The music was rising and so was her blood; her cheeks grew pink even as she stepped closer to the shadow rider.

"To be here, in this moment, with you...do you have any idea how lucky I feel tonight?" Asteriel said.
Casriel clapped the scarlet rider on the back, a hearty laugh rising from her throat.

"Good, H'den but ready and eager! Yllaveth grows near her time and Maraxith will fly!"

"Two new colors and fighting males too. Maraxith will have to keep on his toes. Was it not enough that Cobalts must compete with Bronzes, now Citrines and Tungstens in addition to Smokes!" Casriel continued to grin, shaking her head. Not that she was too worried; Maraxith was the first Cobalt to ever crack the shell and he was a powerful dragon. It would be a few turns before either Devakith or Elhuyath were large enough to contend with Maraxith.

"Though," Casriel softened her voice and inclined her head toward H'den. "Nimath is looking very bright these days. Soon?"

May accepted the glass with a nod of thanks and sipped slowly. Navarik swallowed and shook his head, grinning.

"Very glad, Leja. This a new place full of beginnings when Pern has so few nowadays. I'm lucky to have been Searched by T'kal."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
weyrwolf

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:42 pm

"Jah'vi!" Sidran exclaimed, turning around from Kalabria and giving the bronzerider her very broadest, warmest smile. In a man as perceptive as Jah'vi could be, it just may have inspired a hint of warning. But of the least dangerous kind.

This, after all, was just Sidran enjoying a lovely evening, not trying to get or do anything (except, perhaps, her Weyrsenior). "Jah'vi, I am so sorry, and didn't mean to ignore you. By all means, you should take our new queenrider out to dance. Let me help," and she leaned over to pluck his skin of Lightning out of his hands. "There. Kalabria, I will toast to you upon your return."

Her smile to the young shadowrider had not a bit of warning or insincerity in it - clearly the Weyrleader was having a lovely time, and wanted the same for the red-headed new rider in front of her.

"Yes," E'zen replied, softly, tucking her close against himself. "I...love you, Asteriel." It was too hard to say, distracted by her jewel-deep eyes, and so he leaned in, to say it just outside her ear. This moment, clearly, was theirs alone, as though no one else was in the room.

"Soon," H'den agreed, rolling his head back on his neck to ease the muscles there. "And I have no doubt about Maraxith's readiness, nor his ability to stay ahead to whatever new males we grow here. They have to learn from someone's example, after all." He grinned again, sudden and real, "and I can't imagine they'd outstrip him anytime soon."

Leja sobered a bit at that, but her smile wobbled back, buoyed by the camaraderie, the brilliant emotions in the room, and of course the drink. "I believe that. And the more hatchings and good that comes from this Canyon, the better for Pern. So it's good you're here!"

That was as close to her usual logic as she could come, with the alcohol more than seeping in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vivid

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:50 pm

Asteriel sighed, feeling as if she could soak up his warmth and glide on it forever. His words filled her and her smile stretched so wide her face ached. Oh but what a sweet ache it was.

"I love you too." she said. It was all there, their love, their dragons, their connection forged in candidacy before either had Impressed. He was there, glorious and so much like a sun among candles. She saw no other man...no, her vision narrow only to include him.

She kissed him, pressing the full of her lips to him and tears gathered at the corners of her jewel-deep eyes.

"E'zen...would you be my Weyrmate?" the words were soft but so full as Asteriel slid to her knees in a puddle of twilight blue velvet.

"They will have to work hard." Casriel said with a smirk. Maraxith could give no quarter and Casriel didn't have to ask the Cobalt if he would chase Nimath. He certainly would, having not chased Aliseth. The cobalt hadn't chased a female dragon since Ashrah's Hesriath has risen to mate shortly after they had arrived her.

'No, that's not right. I suspect he must have chased Anarath but Vorganth won that flight. ' Casriel thought and that hadn't surprised her. She knew of the unconventional yet happy triad bond R'fariel, V'tayn and Kyabree shared. It was different but it seemed to work for them.

'Indeed, I wonder if it would work for others.' Casriel thought, a vision of standing with Sidran to either side of Br'son. She pushed away the thought about cuddling up to a rival such as Sidran, even for Br'sons sake. Even if Casriel could go for that, she doubted the Weyrleader would.

Varik smiled and reaching out, pushed a strand of Leja's hair back from her face.

"Thank you, sweetling. I appreciate it." he said, his eyes settling on hers.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Apollotrigger

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:52 pm

Jah'vi made an annoyed whining noise when Sidran stole his drink, pouting in his adorable way. But it was all show; he was happy to share with the Weyrleader. His eyes flicked back quickly to the Weyrsenior and he smirked. More than happy to share.

But he should do his duty, and Kalabria was a lovely young woman, and tonight was her night after all. He stood, giving a sweeping bow and offering his hand to the young woman, a charming smile on his face.

"Kalabria, rider of shadow Ohanith, will you do me the honor of dancing with me?" he asked, a much more gentle expression on his face than what he'd been directing at Br'son that evening. Weyrlings were off limits for one, and the queenrider was far too young for him even if she hadn't been a weyrling.

Not to mention he was interested in something else tonight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
weyrwolf

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:11 pm

Sidran winked - whether at Jah'vi or Kalabria, who could say - and tipped her stolen drink in their direction. She took joy from the bronzerider's pout, a lovely garnish on a delicious dessert, and slid back comfortably into her seat for a moment to see what was what. Perhaps she would dance as well...in a moment.

E'zen looked down at her, confused. After a bare moment he reached down, pulled her up, and spun them both in a dizzy circle, his laugh whole-hearted and unexpectedly contagious. Somewhere in the back of his head was the thought that he would have to help train queenriders soon, and that Aliseth was as roughly fond of Emanoth as it seemed possible she could be, but that hardly meant he'd be the only one to catch her - but those were quiet somewheres. Front and center in him, shining through his face, was joy. "Of course I will," he replied, young and in love and utterly sure it was the easiest, most perfect decision he'd ever made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)   

Back to top Go down

Toasting joy and drowning sorrows (Hatching Feast)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next